Sumner Brooks, MPH, RDN, LD
Dietitian, Nutrition Therapist, Author, Speaker
I help people find a way out of the diet trap and find the door to happiness. I guide clients to seeing the value in their body and in their life again with eating disorder recovery from an Intuitive Eating approach. Walk with me!
My mission is to help increase awareness about how diet culture negatively affects the wellbeing of everyone. If we can increase the awareness about this for all, we can inhibit participation in diet culture and decrease the prevalence of eating disorders.
I’m a mom to a spunky little toddler and work full time as a GI (gastrointestinal) dietitian where I provide nutrition therapy to patients with conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome, liver disease, diabetes, inflammatory bowel disease and eating disorders. I healed after many years of suffering from an eating disorder and it keeps me up at night if I’m not doing something to help shape and change our diet-obsessed culture. I always work from a weight neutral approach, encompassing the principles of Health At Every Size and Intuitive Eating.
Producing the EDRDpro Symposium helps change the diet culture and working toward that is my passion.
A little about me: Sumner Brooks, MPH, RDN, LD
- Registered Dietitian since 2008
- Master’s in Public Health from UCLA
- B.S. Nutrition and Food Science from San Diego State University
- Member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Member of the Oregon Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Eating Disorder Specialist and Certified Intuitive Eating Counselor
- Member of Dietitians in Functional and Integrative Medicine (DIFM)
- Member of the Columbia River Eating Disorder Network (CREDN)
- Member of Sports, Cardiovascular and Wellness Nutrition Practice Group (SCAN)
- Full time dietitian at a Gastroenterology clinic serving patients with digestive health concerns
- Supervised and trained by The Original Intuitive Eating Pro’s
I have specialized in the treatment of eating disorders since 2010 and spent 6 years owning a private practice in Los Angeles, until moving up to my hometown of Portland, Oregon. I’ve worked with thousands of clients on individual nutrition goals ranging from binge eating therapy to sports nutrition.